Thursday 21 July 2011

Are you there God? It's me, The Big Bang Theory

After finishing the first season I promised to continue to share my thoughts of The Big Bang Theory. Why? If I had to watch the thing then you have to read my pure undistilled despair of doing something so shitty

You'll be happy to know that I eventually gave up with the whole notion of watching it. You'll be a bit more upset to find out I made it halfway through season 3 before doing so, but I always was a bit slow on the uptake

There were two specific moments I knew there was no way I could continue watching - they were the first episode of season 2 and the first episode of season 3

At the start of the second season you saw the show move in a different direction. Things I complained about before, like lack of continuity or some of the characters having pretty much no personality, were rectified somewhat, but there was one change in particular which irked me immensly

They started to focus more on the autistic guy. Instead of him being a side character to the will they won't they saga, he gets pushed to the forefront for most of season 2. Whether some focus group said they should focus on him or the writers had some side effects to shotgunning bleach, I don't know but this is what happens

So now we have the most irritating character in the show , and now he is in over 80% of the scenes. We all remember the Poochey episode of the Simpsons, and it's like that except it's not a parody, it's actually happening. He doesn't change at all - he doesn't understand basic human emotions and responses, he's still arrogant and insufferable to everyone, he's still horrible to his friends who spend a lot of time asking "Why are we friends with him?" but of course it's the autistic one who leaves them and they must crawl back to him

He becomes such a central part of the show that they may as wellchange the title to The Autistic One Theory. The show becomes even more difficult to watch, but the biggest crime is the show becomes even more boring. With the new central idea of the show installed the "jokes" are exactly the same - long winded explanations that border on ridiculous or "nerds don't understand things most people do" which gets a lot more air time in the second season

The worst offender is the autistic guy then starts explaining other people's jokes as humour. If someone says something sarcastic the autistic one will point out it's sarcasm, why what the person said was sarcastic, the reason why they used the sarcasm in the first place (usually to illustrate how ridiculous the situation is or for sheer petty humour) and finish things off with either disdain if it's aimed at him or a completely fake "Aha! I get the joke!" laugh, and it's the fucking worst and it gets worse everytime it happens again

If you are brain damaged yourself and give even the remotest shit about the show, at the end of the first season the cute girl and the nerd go out, but it goes badly and they stop after one date. Halfway through the season the nerd gets a new girlfriend, who then disappears a few episodes later without a trace as he begins to mope about the cute girl. At the end of the second season all of the nerds go to Antartica for nerd reasons and the cute girl is upset because she doesn't want the nerd to go

Then the third season starts and they start going out again. This makes the entire second season pointless, apart from one thing. At the start of the second season they pushed the autistic guy to the forefront. What can they do top that for the start of the third season? Why, they gave him his own catchphrase!

"Bazinga!" is his catchphrase, and if you ever heard anyone say this out loud IRL then please tell me so I can murder them. Whenever the autistic one makes a joke, uses sarcasm, insults one of his friends, explains humour, or gives a long winded explanation to something which leaves the other people present dumbfounded he will say "Bazinga!" He will say this 4-5 times an episode

If they were trying to slowly create the worst character in the history of television then there is nowhere to go. They've nailed it. The show went from boring and mediocre to something so obnoxious that I dreaded even the thought of watching the show again. I got up to episode 12 of season 3 and my will just gave out. I've done a lot of awful things all the way through, but there is absolutely no way I could stomach any more of The Big Bang Theory

I couldn't even watch it in a "This is how you don't write a TV Show" way. I'd put an episode on and I'd sit there, growing progressively bored and irritated for 20 minutes. Then I'd do it again. I eventually got through 2 hours of episodes in a row without coming across anything even resembling a joke and I quit. I'm fairly sure at this point that humour is dead and nothing will ever be funny again. This will be my burden

Mock me if you want. For either doing this shitty idea in the first place, continuing the shitty idea for so long or for taking so long to stop with this shitty idea. But don't follow in my footsteps. Don't think "How bad could it be?" and give it a shot. The answer is far worse then you could ever imagine, and nobody deserves to suffer through the horrors I have

No comments:

Post a Comment